'I will never text again after seeing this' Facebook survey scam

Filed Under: Facebook, Social networks, Spam, Video

Last month I blogged about a rogue Facebook application that had tricked hundreds of thousands of users into giving it access to their profiles, and spreading a message saying they were "never texting again".

Today I stumbled across a Facebook page called "I May NEVER TÊXT AGAIN After Reading THI$!!" ("I May Never Text Again After Reading This!!") which uses a similar message to encourage users into "liking" it, and sharing a similar message to all of their Facebook friends.

Never text again message on Facebook

Here's a YouTube video where I demonstrate what happens:

(Enjoy this video? You can check out more on the SophosLabs YouTube channel and subscribe if you like)

Remember, the issue here isn't just that you're helping scammers earn money by advertising links to their online surveys - by "liking" Facebook pages like this you are also opening yourself up to the possibility of future attacks too.

Over 200,000 Facebook users have already "liked" the rogue page, meaning that at anytime the unknown owner of the page can send them an update which could contain an unwanted advertising message or - worse - a malicious link.

If you're on Facebook, and want to learn more about security threats on the social network and elsewhere on the internet, join the Sophos Facebook page.

, , , ,

14 Responses to 'I will never text again after seeing this' Facebook survey scam

1. Leoooa · 1270 days ago

how do i unlike?

• Paul Ducklin · 1269 days ago

If you're logged into Facebook, clicking a Like button for the first time adds you to its "likers". If you click again on a button you already Like, that "unlikes" it. (Not as obvious as it could be. Once Liked, the button changes appearance but doesn't change to say that it now works as "Unlike" .)

Never thought we'd need verbs in English such as "unfriend" and "unlike"...

2. N.B.Thomsen · 1270 days ago

Profile -> Info -> Click edit in "likes and interests" -> Click "show other pages" - > Now you can click "remove" on the pages you dont want to like anymore.

3. Jason · 1268 days ago

I just turn off all platform applications. That way, I have 100% confidence.

4. How do I unlike????????????

5. Jacob · 1249 days ago

Gotta say, I feel like anyone who believes something as obvious as that deserves whatever's coming to them.

6. Justinsane · 1241 days ago

They sure do, Jacob. They sure do.

7. Emzeeleighbeekii · 1238 days ago

My mother got this on her facebook, and although I was almost positive it was a scam, I still clicked out of sheer curiousity. My mother can barely work facebook, she wouldn't have opened the link because, she didn't know you could like things until just a short time ago.

Graham Cluley is an award-winning security blogger, and veteran of the anti-virus industry having worked for a number of security companies since the early 1990s. Now an independent security analyst, he regularly makes media appearances and gives computer security presentations. Send Graham an email, subscribe to his updates on Facebook, follow him on Twitter and App.net, and circle him on Google Plus for regular updates.