I've won three million Euros from Bill Gates!

Filed Under: Spam

Excuse me for typing breathlessly, faithful Naked Security reader, but I have some incredible news to share.

I have just been informed that I have won three million Euros from none other than the Bill Gates Foundation!

I had no idea that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which normally fights poverty around the world and promotes healthcare, even ran a lottery - let alone that I had entered. But clearly, I did and now one of their representatives has been in touch to tell me the good news.

Bill Gates Foundation lottery scam

Bill and Melinda Gates are renowned around the world for their incredible generosity - they're not only planning to give millions away to me, but they're also happy to employ staff who spells the boss's surname incorrectly. It's great that Bill and Melinda are not adverse to employing people with literacy problems.

Counting isn't this emailer's strong point either. He's managed to attach a grand total of 69 files to this email telling me about my windfall. Eventually I found the right one, entitled LOTTERY BILL GATES FOUNDATION.docx

Scam Word document

All that they require is for me to share some personal information with them.. and then riches will be mine!

So, this is probably going to be the last article that you'll see me writing on Naked Security. I'll be picking up my winnings and riding off into the sunset. I can't tell you how much fun it's been, but this is goodbye..

.. unless this is a scam, of course. But that couldn't be the case... could it??

, , , ,

11 Responses to I've won three million Euros from Bill Gates!

1. ballbag o licker · 1376 days ago

anybody who falls for this deserves all they get

2. aniko boehler · 1376 days ago

yes this scam has been going around for some time now - as far as i know i already 'won' twice!!! ; )

3. That's great, Graham. But now who will use their competence and wit to warn us of all those nasty email and facebook scams... and we're really in the soup if Chet and The Duck have also won. Apparently quite a few have ;)

4. paul · 1376 days ago

it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, graham. Congrats. Hey, maybe after I get my commission from the Widow of Mobutu Sese Seko, we can all get together down on the French Riviera and party?!?

5. Graham,

These are funny mails and you must be enjoying the spelling they write. Last time I was contacted by a lawyer of a billionaire who wanted to share his left-out assets with me. I AM SO LUCKY. From that day I am meditating to send tweets via ether to that billionaire daily just to tell him to contact me directly.

6. fubar42o · 1376 days ago

Hey, you won too!? Wow, what a coincidence!!!

7. David · 1375 days ago

its a good thing that bill gates uses macs with the .docX extension.

• I may be wrong (I try to avoid Microsoft Word if at all possible), but I think DOCX has been the standard extension since Word 2007.

8. I Ought to have at least 250 million dollars after clicking and ansvering all my mail fron Nigeria and elsewhere. So i'm gonna retire too. See you on Bahamas!.. ;)

9. Julian · 1372 days ago

Yeah im supposidly won alot of money and also supposidly some police in New York international police district 2 and possibly the FBI but when i reply i get an email back saying that the email address doesnt exist they r stupid.

10. Bouba Abele Adamu · 1371 days ago

What is Bill Gates himself doing about these scams using his name to dupe people around the world.