Is Hacker TV sitcom a true reflection of computer security industry?

Filed Under: Malware, Social networks, Vulnerability

christian-slater
Tonight, TV network FOX will be launching an ethical hacker comedy called 'Breaking In'. From everything I see online about it, it sounds like, FINALLY, we have a show that gives you true insight into the world of cyber security and penetrative testing.

1. They are all good-looking in that 'can-you-tell-I-live-in-Hollywood' way.
2. They are armed to their perfectly straight pearly whites with witty one liners.
3. They have really high-tech swanky work digs (why have one screen when nine will do?)
4. They don't just stick to cyber hacking, but they also pick locks, steal cars, etc.

This is *exactly* what it is like in my industry. Really. In fact, if you meet all the above criteria, why not apply for a job at Sophos?

They have launched a few trailers as well as dipped their toe into the social media swamp to generate some excitement about tonight's debut.

After I checked out this little interactive nugget, one does hope that Breaking In, which stars the young Jack Nicholson middle-aged Christian Slater, is a little more original than a sexed-up game of hangman.

I am probably being too harsh. Perhaps comedic fluff is exactly what we need after a great number of TV tech dramas that take themselves really seriously. They have done this for almost all professions, so why not computer security?

And 'Breaking In' is not the first bizarre cybercrime/television pairing. That would have to be when Spencer Pratt announced that he was turning his back on producing reality shows to make a life fighting cybercriminals?

(This was of course before the aptly-named cyberwarrior's recent offer to become Charlie Sheen publicist)

But I digress. If you do end up watching 'Breaking In', send us a comment and share your thoughts.

, , , ,

7 Responses to Is Hacker TV sitcom a true reflection of computer security industry?

1. Endjinn · 1304 days ago

I've already seen 'Breaking In' after getting it from a friend who hacked Fox to get it early. I say 'hacked' as they were considering months of careful social engineering, breaking into peoples cars to steal ID or maybe slaving over a hot botnet gently probing their network. In the end they found a laptop on the tube with the password "obamaismuslim" belonging to some exec...

2. Angel · 1304 days ago

All I can say is that the 'interactive nugget' could use some help. Put a 'Cuda and a firewall in the way, and it starts choking it up good. And the passwords? Please. 30 seconds and oneacross.com not withstanding, it's SO very obvious it's just a made-for-TV version of 'Hackers' without a good looking teenaged Angelina Jolie or Johnny Lee Miller. I'm thankful I don't have cable, so I can avoid this waste of precious bandwidth.

3. Bjørn Froberg · 1304 days ago

Fine, I'll be the first to say it;

If I had a chick like that on my sales staff, every time she visited a customer we'd have an instant sale.
    Sophos should really start cloning us up some sales reps that have the best bits of Angelina Jolie and Jessica Alba, world domination ensues.

That said, the Sophos gents I've had the pleasure of meeting have much better personalities. ;-)

4. *FromSQLSantizer · 1304 days ago

Um. For a show about top security, the tryhacking site is lame. A quick view of the source shows where the swf is located. Do a direct link to the swf, then right click and uncheck Loop and then right click and click Play brings you to the "Congratulations" part of the file.

Therefore my time was 00:00.0 seconds. Does hacking the tryhacking flash file count?

5. Yawg · 1304 days ago

I am skeptical about this show, but I watched another new, kind of security focused, comedy show the other day, CHAOS, and thought it was absolutely hilarious :D.

I'm looking forward to more CHAOS and will see how Breaking In goes..

6. Stone · 1304 days ago

Sounds like a sitcom version of Tiger Team ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1161624/ )

7. Pete · 1303 days ago

Made for teens.
    The only redeeming feature is the lead role - except it's a complete rehash of the actors character from Reaper.

Yet again: disappointed