Survey says 70% don't password-protect mobiles: download free Mobile Toolkit

Filed Under: Data loss, Featured, Malware, Mobile, Social networks, Video

Female networking in airportHave you ever lost your mobile phone? I have. Four times last year.

And I am not alone. According to a recent Sophos survey, 22% of people admitted to losing theirs. Thank God my devices were all encrypted and can be remotely wiped of data.

Maybe because I lose stuff all the time, I was rather shocked that a whopping 70% of mobile phone users apparently don't password protect their phones.

And mobiles and tablets aren't just used by consumers; businesses are also adopting these devices to get more out of their employees.

Gone are the days of people doing all their work while in the office. Who doesn't work from home and on the road - on planes, trains and automobiles?

Frame from 80s movie Planes Trains and AutomobilesAs businesses groan under today's financial pressures, companies can at least rest assured that their employees are not limited to working only at their desks.

Children sick or car won't start? No problem - you can log in from the house. But these wonderful technological advances come with a cost. The cloud within this sparkly silver lining is THE business concern du jour: how do companies keep data secure?

If an employee joins an insecure WiFi hotspot, there could be a problem with the data being sniffed by an unauthorised third party. If someone leaves their business iPhone, Android or BlackBerry in the back of a cab, how can they be sure that private emails and documents won't be accessed?

For those worried about this quagmire of risks, in gallops a free Mobile Security Toolkit to save you. Its purpose? To help advise businesses on mobile security risks and offer practical advice to secure them.

Check out the following promo video Sophos made:

(Enjoy this video? Check out more on the SophosLabs YouTube channel and subscribe if you like.)

So what's included in this Mobile Security Toolkit?

• Mobile Security Threats and How to Stay Safe (Presentation)
  • Why You Should Always Lock Your Phone (Video)
  • What Senior Managers Need to Know About Mobile Device Security (Article)
  • Mobile Security–What's Coming Next? (Whitepaper)
  • Safe Passcodes for Mobile Devices (Tips)
  • Example Mobile Security Policy (Template)
  • Seven Tips for Securing Mobile Workers (Whitepaper)

While these goodies are all free of charge, there is a gate to fill in. This helps our marketing people understand what type of companies download the Mobile Security Toolkit.

And our guys would be really interested in your feedback. Did you download this toolkit? Was it useful? Did you think anything was missing?

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Survey says 70% don't password-protect mobiles: download free Mobile Toolkit

1. Antony · 1114 days ago

I am just curious what you use to encrypt and remote wipe your mobile? (if you do not mind telling us).

I have an Android phone and wondered if you had any suggestions on what to use to encrypt it and remote wipe? (I am not limited to free applications)

Thanks.

2. Annoyed · 1114 days ago

You'd get more people downloading if you'd sack off the ridiculous data mining. If your free security tools and papers are so important, give them out regardless of whether I tell you my inside leg measurement and passion for cheese toasties.

No thanks.

3. Dale · 1113 days ago

Dear Annoyed,

Whats annoying is folks who not only expect to receive "free" advice, but can't decide where to place their trust in exchange for that advice.

A piece of unsolicited advice:
    Decide which security vendor you trust.
    Decide which ISP you trust (your email makes it apparent that you already have).
    Decide which OS manufacturer you trust.

Your paranoia regarding "data mining" from Sophos points to your obvious lack of trust.

Until you grow up, we are all better off without your clutter.

4. lironah · 1108 days ago

My 5 year old broke into my phone this morning, called my sister, moved apps around, and downloaded stuff. I guess she's watched me unlock it too many times. (Yes, I've already changed my passcode.)

• Jon Fukumoto · 657 days ago

Use a complex password and make sure your child doesn't see you entering it in.

5. Mike M. · 1105 days ago

I don't use a smart phone, as I'm retired. My TracPhone serves me perfectly. My tip for others who like me do not us a smart phone: If you lose your mobile phone you can always call your service provider and have your phone deactivated to prevent anyone else from using your phone and whatever airtime you have lef in your account.

6. Jon Fukumoto · 657 days ago

Unfortunately for Android, not all devices have hardware encryption. Only devices running 4.0 and above have it, but it's not enabled by default. Before turning it on, ensure the battery is fully charged and enable it. The encryption process takes 30-45 minutes, during which you'll be unable to use it. For all iOS devices, which is both the iPhone and the all iPad models, they all come with hardware encryption already enabled by default, which is more secure. The best way to secure any device is to use a strong password. A strong password is at least 8 characters long, with a combination of alphanumeric characters and symbols. For Android, never use the pattern, since it can easily be figured out. Remember, for Android, passwords make little sense unless encryption is enabled, and only on smartphones running 4.0 and above.