Password joke named funniest at Edinburgh Fringe

Filed Under: Privacy

Chattering joke teethA joke about passwords has won a competition for the funniest joke at the Edinburgh Fringe.

Stand-up comedian Nick Helm was judged to have the best joke of the festival, beating a number of better-known acts. 10 comedy critics spent two weeks hunting for the best jokes of the Edinburgh Fringe, putting their top 30 shortlist to a public vote.

You're probably wondering what this joke is by now, right? Here it is..

"I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Helm describes himself as "the human car crash of light entertainment".

If you think you know a better joke about computer security, why not leave it as a comment below? Who knows, maybe you'll be making your debut at Edinburgh next year.

A highly exclusive Naked Security t-shirt is up for grabs for whatever we decide is the best entry.

Hat-tip: BBC News via Naked Security reader Barry McCauley

, , , , ,

60 Responses to Password joke named funniest at Edinburgh Fringe

1. Oldredracer · 5438 days ago

Last one out hit the start button.

2. Rayza · 1152 days ago

I entered "penis" as a password once. The computer rejected it with "password error, not long enough"...

3. John · 1152 days ago

Many of these jokes inculding the one by the comdeian I believe have been around Facebook for months, at least. Arent the jokes meant to be orginal in the judging?

• Gayle · 1152 days ago

My thoughts exactly.

• Nifton · 1152 days ago

And funny......

• Actually, the Snow White one's been around since the early 90's at least... I believe the first time I heard it was on a sysadmin usenet posting. The '8 characters' bit is telling, as back then, passwords on Unix mainframes were actually limited to 8 characters. I don't think this has been the case now for years....

• Bill · 1150 days ago

Nick is one of the judges cousins.

4. Christo · 1152 days ago

Norton Antivirus and Internet Security is like Durex Condoms, It doesn't let anything in but also doesn't let anything out as well. "Not Antivirus for the plain Joe out there."

5. Neil · 1152 days ago

I was prompted for stronger password so I entered " My Biceps " .. Wasn't allowed space though!

6. Hmm · 1152 days ago

I heard this joke in the bar quite some time ago - 2009, I think - told as a "blonde joke".

We laughed but that was it. Guess British humor is going the way of the British auto industry. Broken down in a pool of oil.

7. NighEve · 1152 days ago

“There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don’t believe this to be a coincidence.” – Jeremy S. Anderson

8. Camthalion · 1152 days ago

I set my password to "incorrect" so that Windows reminds me every time I get it wrong

9. David · 1152 days ago

better joke about computer security: MSIE6?

10. Alec Waters · 1152 days ago

<clears throat, hopes for originality>

Q: How do hackers go down the Cresta Run?
    A: On a NOP sled!

Boom Boom!

11. jitskesez · 1152 days ago

(wearing blonde wig and in whiny tone): ..... and then it says, enter password and I do that and it never works no matter how many times I type it over.

12. Peter Yates · 1152 days ago

Old joke: "During a recent password audit, it was found that a computer operator was using the following password: "MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofySacramento". When asked why it was such a long password, the user said they were told that it had to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one capital."

13. Steve Sagacious · 1152 days ago

An oldie & a joke you can't really tell it has to be written;
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who don't.

14. only me · 1152 days ago

I, also, heard that as part of a blonde joke, about a year ago. I guess niether originality, or humor, were part of the criteria.

• ditvicar · 1152 days ago

Like several other I have heard this joke before, but I last heard it some 8 or so years ago !! It wasn't really funny then and hasn't got any funnier with maturity. I'd hate to hear what the other jokes were that were not as "good" as this one. I'm cringing at the mere thought of it.

15. The house was burning and a geek tried to protect himself using his computer.
    "Why did you do that?" His friend asked.
    "Cause my computer have a firewall so it can defend me against fires!" he answered

16. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to phish and he'll use your credit card to pay for dinner."

17. GreyBeard · 1152 days ago

A real exchange:

Dear Helpdesk,
    I'd like to know where and how I can change the password. Do I have to appear in person?

Dear User,
    please use the following link to change your password ...

Dear Helpdesk,
    I have already tried, it can't be changed! It says, user name (e.g. Monday1) invalid. What's the reason? Why can't the password be changed?

(Internal comment by Helpdesk: Because today is Thursday?)

18. Anon · 1152 days ago

Joke: Gregory D. Evans - "World's No. 1 Hacker"

bwahaahhaahahhaaa

19. Craig Bruning · 1152 days ago

What did one switch say to the other when it went down?
    At least you're not infected like I am.

20. TimoZ · 1152 days ago

Mac OS X Lion accepts any password when authenticating via LDAP. What a joke.

21. Simcha Jessel · 1152 days ago

Adam and Eve are standing in front of a computer. Adam says to Eve, "Don't touch it, it's an Apple"

22. Odin · 1151 days ago

(another oldie)
    I treat my password like my wife. I try to change it often...

23. Soupy · 1151 days ago

As told by Steve Gibson: I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.

24. Sutu · 1147 days ago

For a list of ways that technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press 3.

25. David Stewart · 1147 days ago

What sits on a programmer's shoulder shouting "Pieces of seven; pieces of seven!"?

A parity bit.

26. Loretta Carnes · 1147 days ago

My teenager arrived home from school to find his password changed on his computer.
    Teenager - "Mom, what's my password?"
    Mom - "Clean your room."
    An hour later - "MOM, what's my password?"
    Mom - "Clean your room."
    2 hours later - "MOM, WHAT'S MY PASSWORD?"
    Mom - "cleanyourroom, all one word, no caps!"

27. Greg · 1146 days ago

Using Norton Antivirus is like not taking care of your dog properly. If you dont look after your dog, like using Nortons, it gets worms!

28. Dr Evil · 1146 days ago

How many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None, its a hardware problem.

Dr Evil.

29. Giveit Arest · 1146 days ago

That's about as funny as a tacky pickup line. Give it a rest

30. Fred · 1146 days ago

Need a groan after all these witticisms?

For all i-Pad users concerned about security issues Apple are marketing a couple of i-Patches.

Yeah, OK, it needs work.

• pprit · 1041 days ago

It should go something like this

What do pirates need for i-Pad problems (malfunctions, security risk, etc.)?
      A regular supply of i-Patches.

31. Mike · 1146 days ago

Here's an old Microsoft error message from the year dot.
    'No keyboard detected. Press f1 to continue.'

• Robaire · 1145 days ago

It may be old, but it's still current. Booting Windows 7 64 bits on an Asus board, I get that today, but with F1. It ignores it so I haven't got around to "fixing" it. Maybe it's just a "feature" ...

32. Harriet · 1144 days ago

HOW I LOST MY PASSWORD IN CYBERSPACE

A rusty old keyboard and nonsense on Google,
    Large fonts and indents and a Jerusalem kugel,
    Stacks of bad passwords floating in space,
    Where is my lost password?
    I've searched all over the place....

I looked high, I looked low,
    I searched under the snow.
    I rebooted and defragged.
    I give up.
    I'm jet-lagged.

I must now save up all my nickels and dimes.
    I have no more time for nonsensical rhymes.
    I cannot rely on my network connector.
    I must NOW install a good VIRUS PROTECTOR.

(sung to the tune of My Favourite Things with apologies to Oscar Hammerstein and Richard Rogers)

33. richard · 1062 days ago

Please advise as to when I should commence laughing.

34. bobinNH · 1058 days ago

Q:How many Misrosoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A: None, they just declare darkness to be the new standard.

• nonseq · 1049 days ago

How. many Microsoft executives does it take to change a light bulb? 8- 1 to actually change the bulb and 7 more to make sure Bill Gates recieves $1 for every light bulb ever changed...

35. randydutton · 1058 days ago

I read an answer that was even better. It listed all eight name and D.C. Had to be eight characters and contain a capitol.

36. Andy Oliver · 1056 days ago

"Knock, knock"

Who's there?

"Computer password"....

37. 2278 · 1045 days ago

An expert has predicted that computers will eventually replace paper altogether ! Well he has obviously never tried to wipe his arse with his Laptop before

38. jacaranda jac · 1028 days ago

What do you get it you stick an i-pad and a Playbook in a liquidiser?

Apple and Blackberry Crumble..

Waa waa waaahhhhhhhh

39. JFChrist · 1026 days ago

Elise Harris was the funniest person at the Fringe!

40. vvv · 682 days ago

Passwords are like toothbrush dont allow others to use it :)