Facebook to start charging? It's poppycock!

Filed Under: Facebook, Social networks, Spam

Will Facebook start charging due to the new profile changes?

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good old-fashioned chain letter, spreading like billy-o across the social network.

Facebook charging hoax

IT IS OFFICIAL. IT WAS EVEN ON THE NEWS. FACEBOOK WILL START CHARGING DUE TO THE NEW PROFILE CHANGES. IF YOU COPY THIS ON YOUR WALL YOUR ICON WILL TURN BLUE AND FACEBOOK WILL BE FREE FOR YOU. PLEASE PASS THIS MESSAGE ON, IF NOT YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IF YOU DO NOT PAY

It's poppycock of course. Facebook doesn't need to charge you to use Facebook, it's making plenty of money already by allowing advertisers to reach its 800 million users.

It's far from the first time that Facebook users have been duped by hoaxes and chain letters. For example, earlier this year, messages were spreading that because the social network had become too slow the site was considering deleting inactive accounts. Again, totally bogus.

Don't forget you can join the Sophos Facebook page, where we'll keep you up-to-date on the latest rogue applications, scams and malware attacks threatening social network users.

, , ,

25 Responses to Facebook to start charging? It's poppycock!

1. Robert Gracie · 1087 days ago

I just dont see the point with these things, we all know its a fake so why do people still post stuff like this its POINTLESS, we all know facebook will never become a paid service its free to the masses for a reason that is why it has got to nearly 1 billion members in a 7 year period that is why facebook is so popular its a free service with good standings in the Alexa (I think) ratings and its not that bug ridden or virus ridden like some other sites

• Sue · 1085 days ago

We all know on this website but there are lots of dumb people that don't know and that is why they repost.

• I tried to warn my friends about it and got an angry message from someone about how "it is true" and they "know people who have already started paying" Well I truly do feel sorry for those who have been scammed soon they won't have any money.

2. k-treena hegedus · 1087 days ago

HOW BOUT THIS FB....... YOU WANT TTO MAKE CHANGES... YOU CHANGE FOR 48 HOURS... WE TELL YOU IF WE LIKE IT OR NOT... IS THAT REASONABLE???????????????????

• Sue · 1087 days ago

The only problem with doing that is FACEBOOK would ignore it if they got a negative response. They are totally ignoring all the postings on Known Issues, as well bug reports etc. I really cant understand why they had to change everything. There was nothing wrong with the old FACEBOOK. The more people who complain to facebook the better.

• Psci · 1086 days ago

Or you can suck it up. It's a free service that you are in no way obligated to use. Stop complaining.

3. Gary H. · 1087 days ago

Spreading like "billy-o"? Blimey!

4. julie · 1087 days ago

I guess the poor kid need's to impress more people with his horse pucky attitude, the only he care's about is the bottom line . Here is bright idea why do'nt he hire all the unemployed in this world.

5. michelle ozanne · 1087 days ago

i do not like the new changes to Facebook, I think we should be given a choice as to whether we want them or not and not have Facebook make that decision for us. Ever since the new changes my games crash a lot more and can get very frustrating. I suppose I should not complain because it is free and I like catching up with friends.

• Chillbrah · 1086 days ago

It's a free service that you DON'T have to use. Don't complain.

6. Kate · 1087 days ago

These rumours and copy/paste updates amuse me. The problem is that the majority of Facebook users think that THEY are the consumer. They are not. They are the product being sold to the advertisers.

7. janett hellner · 1086 days ago

Thank you fb!

8. janett hellner · 1086 days ago

Poeple in general hate change until they try it .But those who throw a fit about something that is offered for FREE,how can you be so arrogant? Its like a hungry person turning down a sandwhich because they are waiting on a steak! Grow Up People ! This is life!

9. linda · 1086 days ago

well im not that tech savvy myself..and a friend told me bout this charging and posting this on my page.....And yes silly me did it how embarrassing. So i went looking and ended up here. And thankz for the heads up and making me feel alittle better as i wouldnt have found this page if not for following other uses/friends. And the naive people like myself can now rest easier..and you may call me stupid but people like me do fall for scarey sounding stuff when a friend tells you about it.

10. Mick in Australia · 1086 days ago

I realise you and most of the posters here are probably based in the US and are more accustomed to comedy being of the in-your-face variety; but surely you aren't all so dim-witted as to not realise the post in question is satire. It is a parody of the stupid rumours that actually do spread throughout Facebook. Read it again; it says "... your icon will turn blue ...". How could anyone read that and not realise the author is poking fun at stupidity.

11. Tai · 1086 days ago

What I don't understand is, FB is already making so much money by not doing anything more because of the income from advertisements. Why are they trying to change it?

And why is that just because it's a "free service" and nobody should complain? It is a "free service"; true, but it's a "free service" effecting a billion members. It's more than just a term "free service" can describe.

12. michella · 1085 days ago

im not paying for my facebook is this 4 real

• Sheesh! · 1085 days ago

How could you get THIS FAR on this page and still ask that question? OPEN YOUR EYES!! READ!! Holy cow, people!

13. Does Facebook have customer service yet?

Until they do they are not a real business, just a ponzi-style IPO scheme

• that makes no sense · 1085 days ago

first of all, the only customers facebook has are advertisers. users arent customers because they aren't paying anything. and yes, they have a help section for users and im sure they have support for advertisers.

secondly, and this is a two part question, do you understand what a ponzi-scheme is, and how could facebook possibly be classified as one? a ponzi scheme would imply they were "paying off" existing users with new user revenue. but since it's a free product, and fb doesnt pay anyone but their employees, this makes absolutely zero sense.

last, having "customer service" is not a prereq to being a business. fb is bringing in well over a billion in revenue a year and is valued north of 50. id say theyre doing alright, then, for not being a "real business".

14. Gemmellness · 1085 days ago

Not true? That's a shame, I wanted my account deleted, all I can do is deactivate it.

15. Rodina Ruffin · 1085 days ago

Fake Fake Fake

16. Ainfursie · 1083 days ago

Who cares! Face to face is the best way to communicate!
    Facebook is designed to keep you hooked so you eventually advertise, play stupid games or in general get suckered into some old cobblers and it works!