Mario Kart on Facebook? Fast-spreading scam hits many users' accounts

Filed Under: Facebook, Social networks, Spam

A scam claiming that you can play Mario Kart on Facebook has spread between many Facebook users.

Mario Kart Facebook scam

Play Mario Kart on Facebook!
[LINK]

Play Mario Kart on Facebook with your Friends! Join the multiplayer mayhem NOW! Click here to play

The messages do not just take the form of public status updates, but have also been distributed via private messages:

Mario Kart Facebook scam private message

If you click on the link (no, not that sort of Link..) you will end up on a webpage which urges you to join the game.

Mario Kart Facebook scam

Unfortunately as soon as you press "Play Now" you'll not find yourself in the middle of a fast-moving road race with all your favourite Nintendo characters, but instead urged to complete an online survey or competition.

(Note: Some people have reported that this webpage attempts to trick the user into installing a browser extension - clearly under the circumstances that is not to be recommended).

Mario Kart Facebook scam

When I tried one of the surveys from my Facebook test account, I was given the opportunity to "win" an iPhone 5.

Mario Kart Facebook scam

iPhone 5? Did someone forget to send the scammers the memo? The iPhone 5 doesn't even exist yet.

Unfortunately, Facebook's built-in security systems don't appear to be blocking this scam at this time - giving it plenty of breathing space to trick as many users as possible into taking the online competitions.

And, of course, the more traffic the scammers send to the online surveys and puzzles, the more commission they earn. And the more spam Facebook users find filling up their walls and inboxes.

Complaints on Twitter about Mario Kart Facebook spam

If you were fooled into participating in this scam remove the message from your newsfeed, and delete any messages you may have inadvertently shared with your friends. That way at least you are no longer spreading it with your online chums.

Make sure that you keep informed about the latest scams spreading fast across Facebook and other internet attacks. Join the Sophos page on Facebook, where over 140,000 people regularly share information on threats and discuss the latest security news.

, , , , ,

13 Responses to Mario Kart on Facebook? Fast-spreading scam hits many users' accounts

1. Robert Gracie · 906 days ago

I do not know HOW MANY of these false iPhone 5 scam adverts I have seen on facebook bit its now really really getting beyond a joke with it I think Apple will have to do something about this but in the next 5 to 10 years the iPhone 5 will be out not right now as these scammers want us to believe

2. Liz · 906 days ago

It would have been helpful for you to post the methods to remove this virus/scam from the infected users' accounts, as some people are sending it hundreds of times!

• FrOsTy · 905 days ago

download microsoft security essentials [its free, don't worry] and run a full scan on your system.

• jodie mckay · 905 days ago

i am also losing friends plzzzzzz i want it gone

3. Pat · 906 days ago

I need to know HOW to get rid of it..I am losing friends like crazy, now they are calling me too...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. aldon · 905 days ago

the problem is if you have to open the message on facebook to delete it, then its to late youve sent it to all your friends, ive not opened any as yet (i reported it to you earlier today)so im not sending it on the problem is i cant delete it either AAgghhhhhhhhh facebook need their ass kicked, see if youcan push for a delete button for the mail inbox as i cant even find a way to talk to them as theres no direct link anymore, its a bit like bt if youve got a problem hard luck

5. jaime · 905 days ago

Yes how do we get rid of. I had to disable my acct to stop it from sending out. I was losing friends as well.

• Pat · 905 days ago

I have lost 240 friends so far..and as long as ppl reply to the message it starts sending it out again..I have used the Microsoft essentials and a couple of others and its still spreading...come on FB fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Mark · 905 days ago

I love Mario Cart. But.... I Despise SCAMMERS ! May the fleas of 1000 camels infest their armpits!

7. kirsten · 905 days ago

i need help geting rid of the mario kart scam please help me

8. Cathy · 905 days ago

I WANT TO DIE!!! help everyone hates me it's not my fault I've had to disable my account because it won't stop please find a solution ASAP I've scanned my computer its still not fixing it at all plz plz plz help !!!!!!!

9. Nordman · 905 days ago

deactivating your account wont really work. It will be ok for the time being, but it will be accumulating it all. Once you enable your account again, voila! If you can access your FB account through your mobile then you are safe. I feel for the scam and been losing many friends. Most of them understood it, but some were cursing me and even blocked me.
    This is what a tech at the Future Shop told me - watch to see if it spreads to other programs like your email etc. But he said that at this point,t he safest way to get rid of it is to wipe out your HD clean.

10. Royal Lance · 905 days ago

I'm glad I never came across this. I hope no more people fall for this scam. I know otherwise but still.