Change your Last.fm password NOW

Filed Under: Data loss, Featured, Privacy

Last.fm logoMusic-streaming website Last.fm has warned its millions of users to change their passwords immediately.

In an advisory posted on its website, Last.fm says that it is currently investigating a possible leak of passwords.

The news comes soon after similar password breaches at LinkedIn and eHarmony.

Warning from Last.fm

Although the website is not confirming that there has been a security breach yet, it isn't being shy about informing users that there could be a problem. As users log into Last.fm they are advised to change their password as a precaution.

Warning on Last.fm website

Of course, it also makes sense to review whether you are using the same password on any other websites too. If you are, then you should change them there as well - and make sure that you never use the same password on multiple websites.

7 Responses to Change your Last.fm password NOW

1. EinZ · 804 days ago

Yesterday LinkedIn, Today Last.fm. What will be on tomorrow. Use safe and diffrent passwords. Othwerwise it is you tomorrow.

2. XDXD · 804 days ago

I don't use Last.fm, I use radio haha.

3. Nimmo · 803 days ago

More to the point companies need to make sure they use appropriate hashing algorithms on passwords, encryption on the entire database, and they should employ password complexity requirements for user registrations at a minimum.

4. Tim · 803 days ago

Does anyone have any bearing on if there's any potential links between these password leaks over the past few days, the same group of people trying an exploit over various sites perhaps?

5. Whats everyones opinions of this http://www.passwordcard.org/en

6. Alex · 803 days ago

Is it a publicity stunt?

7. Paul · 803 days ago

Hello. If you're anti-scum bag, then you're my on line friend!
    I have never been a member/suscriber to linkedin, although I have in the past had direct contact from people whom I don't know inviting me to join. Nor have I ever been a member/suscriber to Last.fm. Can anyone tell me why last.fm would contact me telling me that I should change my (non-existent) password? By my reckoning they shouldn't even know of my existence. I'm a bit concerned.
    Thank-you in advance, my on line friends!