8 Responses to Hacker empties high roller's online Poker account of $115K

1. Some guy · 707 days ago

According to Micah on 2+2, it was a file with .exe ending (bankstatement.jpg.exe) which he openened in his Windows emulator.

• Graham Cluley · 707 days ago

That sounds most likely.

We have seen malware attacks spread via boobytapped image files before (exploiting vulnerabilities), but it's more common for malware to be spread using the old double-extension trick.

• njorl · 704 days ago

Your second paragraph makes me wonder whether I was mistaken to enjoy your irony, in the first.

I haven't seen the user transaction for opening an Exe in a Windows emulator under Mac OS, but I'd guess there's an opportunity to realise what you're doing and cancel.

Regardless, what appears to be being suggested is a Windows Exe which, running within the emulator, is able to install a key-logger on the host Mac OS. This would be similar to a virus breaking out of your test lab. VM to infect its host system. Probably not impossible but quite far into the impressive end of attack crafting.

2. Gavin · 704 days ago

I wonder if it's time for Microsoft (or some third party who can program a lot better than I) to build in a warning whenever a file has two extensions, each of which are three characters, and the last of which is executable.

Knowledgeable people are not normally hoodwinked by it (though anyone can be caught off-guard), but it's too much to expect that all users need to know how extensions work, how one can be hidden and not the other, and so on.

This isn't exactly Microsoft's problem (I'm laying no blame here), but I do see an opportunity for them to improve security by turning the file name red or having a pop-up warning when such a file is double-clicked (obviously with a "Don't show this again" check box too).

-- Gavin

• Deonast · 704 days ago

Doesn't help though that say in windows 7 for example by default the file extension is hidden in windows explorer. So it would be easy for users to see .jpg and not the .exe after and not think twice. I really think this dumbing down of the user experience is bad for security.

3. Marc · 703 days ago

Speaking as someone on a pension who has to survive on a low income, I find it hard to feel any sympathy for anyone who has that kind of money to waste on gambling and is then stupid enough to click on things they shouldn't. 'So sad, too bad' is my feelings on the matter.

4. Dngr66 · 702 days ago

That's pretty crazy. I don't know why he would keep that kinda money on any online site.
    But the thing sounds kinda fishy. He probably wanted to do some high stakes betting, so he "sent" it to a fake account and this was his backup plan.

5. HollyToft · 326 days ago

I would advise anyone who does regular financial transactions online to educate themselves to the world of online hacking, scams and such.
    And to remember that gambling is an extension of the Art of War... and he got taken down in a black op.
    Knowledge is power as they say.

Paul is a Boston-based reporter and industry analyst with more than a decade of experience covering the IT industry, cyber security and hacking. His work has appeared on threatpost.com, The Boston Globe, salon.com, NPR's Marketplace, Fortune Small Business, as well as industry publications including ZDNet, Computerworld, InfoWorld, eWeek, CIO , CSO and ITWorld.com. Paul got his 15 minutes as an expert guest on The Oprah Show - but that's a long story.