New updated Virus Removal Tool from Sophos now available

Filed Under: Fake anti-virus, Featured, Malware, Ransomware, Security threats, SophosLabs, Windows

cute robot 170As promised, Sophos has just released an updated version of its free Sophos Virus Removal Tool (Version 2.2).

This Windows tool, which is designed to work alongside your existing anti-virus installation, removes viruses, spyware, rootkits and fake anti-virus.

At the launch of the first version of the software earlier this year in April, Naked Security readers kindly provided feedback for the tool's developers:

The top three issues readers highlighted were:

• Speed up scanning time
  • Improve malware clean-up
  • Incorporate auto-update capabilities

The good news is that this release addresses all these points. It also boasts improved scan status information, including a progress bar for scanning and for cleanup; and the option to run the tool in safe mode as well as run on computers using proxy settings.

Sophos Virus Removal Tool is completely free and requires no registration.

Visit sophos.com to learn more. Or click here to download immediately.

(Oh, and for you Mac users out there, you can download the wonderfully free Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac home edition.)

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to New updated Virus Removal Tool from Sophos now available

1. Adrian Kentleton · 691 days ago

Is it portable? No use to me if not.

• Graham · 663 days ago

It's not. I downloaded Sophos Virus Removal Tool having got the heads up from a reviewer. Admittedly, they didn't say it was portable, they simply said "Top 5 Anti-Malware to have on your USB stick".

Shame really, because I liked the design and functionality.

2. Derek Jones · 691 days ago

Sounds good. How about an Apple version?

3. Helen · 691 days ago

Why no Mac version?

4. jhah · 691 days ago

anything like this for Mac's?

5. Gavin · 691 days ago

Thanks Sophos! Well-developed and trustworthy products distributed for free are always welcome.

Now all I need is the egg-shaped wheely robot with the colorful pipe-cleaner.

6. Chris · 691 days ago

Come on Sophos, why no Mac version?

7. Timelord · 691 days ago

THX :)

8. Marcia · 691 days ago

When I try to run this, it makes my computer disconnect from the internet, I use DSL and it has happened twice now. I had to reboot my modem, etc. Can you give me insight as to why this happened? I am reluctant to run it again until I find out what is causing the conflict.

9. Jono · 691 days ago

Grear Work - thankyou

10. roy jones jr · 689 days ago

Read the article, you nubbs! It says there is a Mac version which was the 1st version sophos made. The PC version came way later so you Mac intensive folks should have had it. Anyway, thanks Sophos!

11. Mickey Gee · 687 days ago

"Sophos Virus Removal Tool is completely free and requires no registration."

I found when I updated previous versions and now downloaded this latest one that I had to enter name, address, phone number and email address. Is that not the same as registering? Perhaps I did it without having to.

In any case, thanks very much for providing the free version. We run full Sophos at work and having the free version for home use is a real bonus and much appreciated.

• Paul Ducklin · 687 days ago

Errrrr...when I click on the link in the article it takes me straight to the download page.

There's a description of the tool, some short videos showing you how to install, scan and clean up viruses, and a "download" button. Click the button and the EXE file will start downloading right away.

It doesn't ask for any information at all...honest :-)

Perhaps you downloaded an evaluation version of our full corporate product? (That does require registration.)