Who reads Naked Security? The results are in....

Filed Under: Featured

A few weeks ago, we pushed out an article asking you to tell us a little bit about you.

Thanks to the thousands and thousands of you that took part in our poll, we understand a little bit more about who you are and what you like to read.

As some of you expressed an interest in the results of the poll, here are a few screenshots of what we learned:

Who reads Naked Security - poll results

What topics do you prefer to read on Naked Security: poll results

The poll results, combined with the dozens of comments and emails you sent us, tell us that we are doing some things really right. And that is great for us at Naked Security to hear.

There is of course room for many improvements, and we will be trying different things throughout the year to improve our service.

Your feedback is absolutely key to our site's success. So if you like what we are up to, let us know. And, yes, we *definitely* want to hear if you don't like what we are doing too.

Thanks.

Thank you image courtesy of ShutterStock.

, , , , , ,

7 Responses to Who reads Naked Security? The results are in....

1. Nick · 739 days ago

This blog went through a very bad patch a few months ago with absurdly FUDdy headlines and heavy promotion of various Sophos products at the end of every post. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that, against your better judgement, your marketing department got a little out of control and tried to take over the blog for their own ends.

However, things have been back on track recently. Accurate, timely & considered posts on current threats, trends & breaking news with just the right amount of technical detail for this reader. Paul Ducklin makes me feel a little inadequate most of the time with his towering intellect on display at all times (and I'm not being sarcastic either)...but for the most part, it's excellent stuff and all part of my daily reading routine.

Keep it up!

• Jeremy · 739 days ago

All their products are free for non-commerical users. I don't know why they don't have ads because I'd say majority of the people would just be general Facebook users who share the statues. How does Sophos make that much money, it would cost thousands to run this blog considering it is hosted on WordPress VIP hosting. Also the writers too.

• Richard Hodgson · 739 days ago

The only ones I can recall are mentions at the end of articles of 'Sophos provides a free tool for home users for <thing related to the article>', with little other mention of their product.

I wouldn't even call it FUD - FUD articles tend to go into a low depth, vague, but still threatening sounding detail regarding the threat, without really giving any detail regarding the threat or how it works, and only discuss how purchasing their product will save your day.

I never thought that this was really over-the-top self-promotion, if anything, it was better than seeing yet another article spreading The Terrible News Of The Latest Threat From The Big Bad Internet, and then little in the way of advice, tools, or methods for defending against it.

But that's just my opinion.

2. Thu Win · 739 days ago

Bring back 90 seconds news!

3. Pete · 739 days ago

You want feedback? OK, I really have only two gripes:

- The primitive IntenseDebate composer, which allows no formatted text, and no ability to edit one's posts. Mistakes happen. To err is human; to correct is...well, if not divine, then at least reasonable.
    - Please skip the occasional bursts of political prejudice (I'm not naming names). That kind of content that has no place in a security blog. I don't mind neutral reporting, but promoting personal political agendas is inappropriate. I come here for information, not political persuasion. It's not a left vs. right thing; I don't want ANY political preaching...left or right. We get more than enough of it elsewhere.

On the plus side, there are so many things that I don’t even know where to begin. So, in no particular order, here are a few of the things I like about NakedSecurity:

- The responsiveness of the authors (especially Graham and Paul) is second to none.
    - NakedSecurity covers whatever is relevant, with no apparent prejudice either for or against specific platforms. I use both Mac OS X and Windows, and I want information about each.
    - You folks fix your mistakes.
    - I’m in the U.S., so naturally I appreciate the coverage of stuff that happens here. But I also greatly appreciate the truly global perspective of NakedSecurity.
    - It’s free.
    - Anna’s Monday review.
    - The reporting is timely and excellent.
    - It’s informative AND entertaining; there is some very clever, very witty writing.
    - For the most part, NakedSecurity avoids gratuitous sensationalism.

Thanks for a great security newsletter, and please keep up the good work!

4. Snert · 738 days ago

In keeping with what Pete had to say, if there is a personal political statement, please keep it apart from the main topic. Add a discalimer at the end and do all the politics there. I, for one, don't mind hearing other's rethoric on politics. Who knows? it might be worth a giggle or three.

5. Ken Everett · 738 days ago

I enjoy this newsletter because it is sophos at telling us about all the bad stuff out there and I sound so sophosticated when I share these interesting items with my friends.