Google admits that forcing G+ on YouTube users has increased spam

Filed Under: Featured, Google, Spam

Google's recent decision to revamp YouTube's comment system by integrating Google+ in order to reduce spam has proven to be extremely unpopular with users. Ironically, however, it has proven to be quite a hit with the spammers themselves.

The problem has not gone unnoticed by the YouTube comments team who, on Monday, acknowledged the issue via a blog post:

YouTube comments update

Since we launched the new comments experience on YouTube two weeks ago, we’ve received a lot of feedback from creators on the increase in comment spam. While the new system dealt with many spam issues that had plagued YouTube comments in the past, it also introduced new opportunities for abuse and shortly after the launch, we saw some users taking advantage of them.

In response to the plague of spam hitting the video-sharing site, YouTube has now implemented some updates which it believes will stem the tide.

The main changes involve better detection of bad links, improved recognition of impersonation attempts, and a change in the length of time that comments are displayed for.

There will also be improved detection of ASCII art – images dropped into comments by constructing a picture from text characters – which should hopefully lead to far less tanks, bananas and penises being seen beneath YouTube videos in the future (though I suspect there will always be a few bananas leaving stupid comments).

YouTube also disclosed that it will be adding further features to the commenting system which it hopes will be of benefit to video creators:

So what's next? We're moving forward with more improvements to help you manage comments on your videos better. Bulk moderation has been a long standing creator request and we'll be releasing tools for that soon. At the same time, we’re also working on improving comment ranking and moderation of old-style comments.

Whether the changes will appease all of YouTube's user base remains to be seen as many seem to favour a return to the pre-Google+ days.

A petition was recently launched on change.org asking for a return to the old comment system:

Google is forcing us to make google+ accounts and invading our social life to comment on a youtube video and trying to take away our anonymous profile. They are also trying to censor us unless we share the same world view as they do.

Such sentiment seems to be quite widespread, with over 200,000 people adding their digital signatures to the petition in the last two weeks.

Google logoGoogle, however, seems unperturbed in continuing the integration and one could speculate that there are a couple of reasons why it would wish to persevere.

From Google's point of view, forcing YouTube users onto its social networking site has the potential to lift its profile at a time when it is arguably playing third (or more) fiddle to both Facebook and Twitter.

Secondly, integration of the two sites will provide Google with even more information about the users of both services and, as all Naked Security readers should know by now, that data has value to those who wish to use it in order to deliver targeted advertisements.

How do you feel about Google forcing people to have a Google+ account in order to comment on YouTube? Do you think it's all a storm in a teacup and great if it means the changes eventually will reduce the amount of spam on the site, or are you just plain annoyed that you need to sign up to Google+ in order to leave a comment in the first place?

, , ,

27 Responses to Google admits that forcing G+ on YouTube users has increased spam

1. Anonymous · 245 days ago

I prefer my public-facing comments to be untraceable by the public to a single person, as you see here. If forced to attach my real name for all to see, I just won't comment, good or bad. The answer to spam and unrelated comments is moderation, as it is here.

• slipstream · 245 days ago

My google+ account has a fake, *real-looking* name.

And seeing as it's tied to an old youtube account i can still comment using the username from that.

2. Anonymous · 245 days ago

I have multiple channels on YouTube, Why should I (and many others who are in the same boat) be forced to create a G+ for every single channel we have?

• Psydefects · 245 days ago

Because Google has become a greedy selfish profit-oriented firm, pushing aggressively users and trying to find their "buttons" so they will comply. Gone are the old days.

• Magyver · 243 days ago

I could be wrong but I don't think you have to. A single G+ acct should work for all.

• Justin · 243 days ago

From what I've read, you can link a YouTube channel to a Google+ page and manage multiple channels via one Google account.
      So in theory you could have say:
      Google Account - John Doe, email@example.com
      -> Google+ For John Doe
      --> Google+ Page, FunTube
      ---> YouTube Channel FunTube
      --> Google+ Page, FunTubeTV2
      ---> YouTube Channel FunTube2

So you would only have one Google Account with Google+ and multiple pages that are each linked to a channel.

3. Lois Johnson · 245 days ago

I do not like the intrusion of G+ into my internet life. I don't like their push to put me into their social network and their use of my information if I do accede. I just will not comment if this continues.

4. Xejis · 245 days ago

I absolutely hate being forced into having a google+ account just to type comments. Even now that I finally relented it still won't let me post comments! To be honest if this keeps up I'm deleting my account altogether.

• Anonymous · 7 days ago

I did that as soon as I heard Google went ahead with this draconian idea.

5. softwareforparentalcontrol · 245 days ago

BTW and OT: Thank you for always repeating the plain text that's in your screen shots. For people with visual problems and using screen readers this really helps.

6. Bear Hunter · 245 days ago

I WILL NOT start a G+ account just to comment. And if they make that you have a G+ account just to watch youtube, I will stop watching youtube.

7. asm-wolf · 245 days ago

Forcing people on to a social network like google+ probably does not give people a good opinion of it or make them want to use it. A *very* silly move on google's part here IMHO.

8. Terry · 245 days ago

I refuse to be forced to join G+ by the Google dictatorship. I have used Preferences on my Google account to opt out of all Google targeted advertising. I don't do dictats, dictators or dictatorships. Google does all three.

Join the refuseniks. Screw the dictatorships.

9. I don't think this was about getting rid of spammers. Google+ is really bad. Hardly anyone uses it. Google was desperate to get people to use it so they're forcing it on anyone who wants to comment on YouTube. That was really stupid.

10. Bob · 244 days ago

I don't have a problem with it in principle, they want something back in return for what they give I suppose, My problem is it's too complicated to be bothered with. Endless help pages that lead onto even more help pages, videos showing you what to do a step at a time using mumbo jumbo language, I mean who cares? I give the minimum info required to get what I want to see, as for reading and leaving comments, I can do quite nicely without.

• Nigel · 244 days ago

I agree, Bob. I don't believe I have any "right" to a YouTube account, or a Google account, or any other "free" account...for the simple reason that nothing is free. Everything costs something.

In the case of online services like Google, what you pay is the personal information they want about who you are and what you do online. If you're not willing to pay that price, don't use the services. I'm OK with that.

The part that really annoys me is that an increasing number of vendors and service providers are requiring people to have one of these privacy-invading "social" accounts just to do business with them. For example, my doctor's medical group provides online access to my account, but ONLY if I use Google+ or Facebag to log in. I won't do it.

That's the hellish part of this social account disease --- the increasingly widespread assumption that everyone wants to be a part of the loss of privacy epidemic. I don't.

• I think this a huge issue, I have to have a facebook account purely to access my daughters clubs to check times etc. Do I deprive her of that? And lazy companies that say 'find us on Facebook' with not even a link. Can't be bothered.

11. Nigel · 244 days ago

"How do you feel about Google forcing people to have a Google+ account in order to comment on YouTube?"

I hate it...and not because I'm a spammer or a hit-and-run commenter who posts garbage comments and then tries to hide behind anonymity. The reason I hate it is that it trashes the positive benefits of anonymity — namely, helping to protect against identity theft.

That trashing of anonymity is the reason I dumped Facebag, which is the worst in that regard. And now here comes Google, essentially admitting that they're a Facebag wannabee. Aspiring to such LOWER standards does not speak well for Google.

12. Ian · 244 days ago

It seems to me that Google forces you to have a Google+ account EVEN JUST to add a YouTube video to your "Favourites" - becoming creepy to do anything on line anymore

13. roy jones jr · 244 days ago

Unfortunately, Google doesn't want to change what they have done. Even if that petition gets to 1million or higher, Google+ will still be there. I guess Google can handle the results of the change going forward??

14. Magyver · 243 days ago

The excuse that they did this to reduce spam is a farce. They want to put G+ on life support and get more cross-platform personal information for targeted ads at the same time.

15. Paolo di Giugliemo · 242 days ago

I hardly used YouTube after Google got rid of YouTube accounts, never mind comments.

16. Mark · 196 days ago

Google won't let me have a Google+ Acc. They deem that having bought an Android phone for Business Use and have a Business Name as an email address voids they requirement of having a Personsal Name. So I won't comply with them tracking me with whatever I do.

17. Your mother · 136 days ago

First they ask us to use Google+. When we refuse, they nag us until we accept. Even if after that we don't accept, well, they'll change it for us. Enough? Naaaah. Now they try to give us the "choice" to use our actual email address as account name (big no no). We refuse? They change it anyway. The only time I've seen a company trying to get your data so agressively, it turned out to be a scam. So, Youtube users, be warned. I have just shutdown my account, I'm not playing ball with such a dishonest company.

18. Zara · 135 days ago

I wish google would keep YouTube seperate from all this google plus crap. They are two great companies, why mess with YouTube. I switched my personal Google email over to Outlook to keep things simple, clean and organized. I don't know if this google plus nonsence is worth YouTube anymore. To read that the comment section is going to be controlled even more, takes away from one of the greatest appeals of YouTube. Seriously considering deleting anything Google related, even my loved google chrome :(

19. rlbob · 99 days ago

OK Its simple guys. Why would you use your real name when the people see 6,000 dollars of equipment in your garage and years ago you thought the simple " Where you at" with a GPS location was a great idea.
    Guys and gals the world has changed.

20. Aneezelo · 11 days ago

Google/Google+, took something w/Greatness and turned into something w/Sh!t Flavor.