Facebook rape joke posted by 'hackers', Hooters insists

Filed Under: Facebook, Featured, Security threats

Hooters girls"We were hacked!" said Hooters, the emporium of beer, buxom babes and unlimited $10.99 chicken, after somebody posted a rape joke onto its Facebook page on Saturday.

The 'joke' involved a photo of a girl, scantily clad in hotpants and pointing at her nether regions.

The caption underneath read:

EXHIBIT A

The proof that she was asking for it your Honour

The restaurant chain, which has over 430 US locations, says the offensive post was the work of evil hackers who grabbed hold of its Facebook page and posted the offensive material.

Hooters posted a message on Saturday at 8pm after taking down the post:

Hooters statement

Today, our Facebook page was hacked and all admin rights were suspended. We apologize for the unauthorized posts made and are distressed by the insensitive material that was posted out of our control. Hooters does not share these opinions.

As of 7 p.m. EST, we have regained admin rights to our page and are working closely with Facebook to investigate the matter.

So, hackers were the culprits and most definitely not anybody like, say, a freshly fired intern.

Commenters don't seem to buy that. Stephanie Savas wrote on the Facebook post:

I suppose it's easy these days to say that someone hacked your page, as no one can prove that isn't the truth, however, why on earth would said "hacker" post pictures and articles that are relevant to the overall 'theme' at Hooters? ... I can't be the only one that isn't buying the excuse. I think whoever runs this page just has very bad judgement and you're trying to cover as best as you can.

Of course, none of us really know who posted it.

I contacted Facebook to ascertain if it had indeed worked with Hooters over its claimed loss of administrative control, but I hadn't heard back by the time this posted.

I'll update the story if a spokesperson does get back to me.

, ,

14 Responses to Facebook rape joke posted by 'hackers', Hooters insists

1. Logy · 69 days ago

Does anyone else think the chicken looks gross in the article cover photo?.

2. Vince · 69 days ago

So this was one single post that degraded their brand?

Hackers my ass...

3. clivev · 69 days ago

Really Stephanie, ?
    "why on earth would said "hacker" post pictures and articles that are relevant to the overall 'theme' at Hooters? ".
    You honestly cannot understand and fathom why a hacker, would post pictures and articles that are relevant to the overall theme?
    If a hacker, of any site, wanted it to be thought of as from the company itself, does it not make sense that they would make sure it was relevant to the theme?
    Whether or not it was a hacker or a malicious "intern" your comment is ludicrous.
    And honestly nakedsecurity, you are a lot better than deciding to publish that asinine comment.

• true but I can't think of a single (verified) case where a criminal has posted content that could so easily be seen as official content. Their has been attacked on newspapers posting fake stories but in throses cases it's clear they where unofficial posts (dead man is really alive on the moon type of stories).

• LonerVamp · 69 days ago

Funny, though, as I was thinking the exact same thing until I came upon that comment. I mean, if I were a master hacker and I got admin rights to Hooters brand accounts online, the first thing I'd do is post a joke using their own branding material. Seems logical. Or better yet, try to get them into trouble by making it look like they did it, blah blah blah.

Better off selling it to someone who can use it for a flash spam/drive-by campaign. Coupons for free wings, click here!

Now, I *am* still surprised we don't have more corporate-against-corporate attacking. For instance, a competitor grabs Facebook credentials and posts something grossly inappropriate...

• Will · 69 days ago

A little strongly worded, no? The article didn't claim the commentor was correct, just that others on the Facebook page weren't convinced it was hacking.

I can also see their point. Yes, "hackers" might want to mimick what a company typically posts to be more damaging, but this was what some might consider "on the edge", rather than something universally offensive.I think it's easy to see how someone who wasn't thinking clearly might have made a tasteless joke like this thinking the predominantly male following would appreciate it (clearly misguided, no doubt).

NOTE: I am in no way endorsing the comment, as I DO think it's offensive.

4. Isn't the US in the process of (or just passed) a law requiring all breaches to be reported. If that's the case surely hooters could just supply their "crime number"

• Will · 68 days ago

It's an interesting question as to who's responsibility that would be, no? Not to mention what qualifies as a "breach"...

I'm assuming that law was intended to protect customer information and force companies to own up. Perhaps it doesn't extend to the protection of their own marketing resources, like FB accounts, where no sensitive customer data is stored (one would hope). Or maybe it's FB that should be reporting it as a breach... :)

5. Mick · 69 days ago

A stupid post, posted by an idiot... However - one (really-not-that-graphic-and-disgusting) post has thrown the whole organisation into a business continuity situation, and that is even more bizarre. I think that the comment could more accurately describe an organisation that relies on scantily-clad women to sell its products than the victim of a s-e-x attack ...and GoDaddy? I won't even go there... By the way, the words r-a-p-e and joke form the ultimate oxymoron.

6. wdw3264 · 69 days ago

I say.... WHO GIVES A FLYING RAT'S @$$? Either way, Who did it hurt, except a couple butt hurt panty waists that just need something.... Anything to bitch , moan & groan about. Grow up people and quit being so damn overly dramatic, you bunch of over sensitive drama queens!

• John C. · 69 days ago

The reason anyone gives a rodent's behind is that this is a data security site and the story was about a security breach. Seems pretty relevant to me. I tend to agree that this was the work of someone not officially representing Hooter's (hacker or disgruntled ex-employee). It's a perfect way to make Hooter's appear to be insensitive woman-haters.

By the way, some day when your daughter is raped and someone makes a sick joke about it, you might get a clue.

• Will · 68 days ago

Putting aside the semi-hypocrticial nature of your comment - I don't think this article is about the "joke" at all, or the breach for that matter. It is distasteful, but what I took away from it was that this might be a case where a company makes a mistake and posts something potentially harmful to it's brand or image, and then blames it on hacking when there's a real possibility it was just stupidity or oversight on their part.

• Mick · 42 days ago

So, why do you read this blog? Is it to feel smug, laughing haughtily at our 'drama queen' mentality - or to contribute something that someone might actually want to read? Your post was very useful in fact... It has proved that an individual can only rate someone down once in any browsing session; so well done on this astounding (but disappointing) revelation...