October 31st, also known as Halloween in some parts, has been designated by Sophos as “International Kill-A-Zombie Day”.
Here’s a movie trailer we’ve made to encourage you to join the fight:
Millions of computers around the world, in homes, internet cafes and businesses, are – without the knowledge of their owners – under the control of cybercriminals who commandeer the PCs to send spam, distribute malware, and commit identity theft. These are known as zombies, and they are scouring the internet to attack you.
Billions of spam messages are sent every day, with over 99% sending spam from innocent users’ computers that have been hijacked and turned into a “zombie”. Hackers control networks of zombie computers, known as a botnet, in order to silently send out adverts that peddle sexual enhancement drugs, porn or questionable financial deals. They also can distribute scareware attacks to trick users out of their credit card details, access your social networking accounts, and spread further malicious attacks.
So, join the cause and put an end to this nightmare
- Scan your computer and those of your friends (ask permission first!) with an up-to-date anti-virus program. If you don’t already have an anti-virus you can always download a free evaluation from Sophos.
- Or, download and run this quick computer scan to see whether your system is infected.
- Keep your operating system and programs up-to-date with the latest security patches, and run a firewall.
- Join the “International Kill A Zombie Day” group on Facebook and spread the word.
- Tweet on Twitter: “I’m joining the fight! International Kill-A-Zombie Day”
Take out the Zombies – time for them to meet their match.