It’s Monday again, so here’s a quick way to get yourself up to date with everything we’ve written in the last seven days.
• Anatomy of a cryptographic oracle – the BREACH attack
• Android random number flaw implicated in Bitcoin thefts
• Who is SophosLabs: Peter Szabo, Senior Threat Researcher
• Will insurance firms be the big winners in cyber security?
• Winners of the BH2013 #sophospuzzle – and how to solve it!
Hacking and scams
• California escrow firm shuttered after $1.5M cybertheft
• ‘Hack Facebook’ works great – on YOU, not the other guy
• NSA cutting 90% of sysadmin jobs to beef up security
Law and order
• Freedom Hosting arrest linked to Tor privacy compromise
• Latvia blocking extradition of Gozi malware writer
Malware and exploits
• So you thought it was safe to go back in the water (closet)?
• OpenX ad servers “pre-compromised” – backdoor in official distro
• Android “Master Key” vulnerability – more malware
• Infecting iOS, OpenX, Android – 60 Sec Security [VIDEO]
• Saga of a stolen iPhone, as told by auto-uploaded selfies
OS and software
• Firefox 23.0 is out – fixes, features, frustration
• Security flaw with a difference – the Xerox scanner “feature”
Privacy and online safety
• Hacker doxes intimate email from Colin Powell
• Ok, who uses their pet’s name as their password?
• Daily Mail readers wince as Mail Online coughs up PII
• Is this Snapchat clone really an end to Facebook embarrassment?
• Chrome, Firefox display plain-text passwords with a few clicks
• Secure webmail service Lavabit suspends operation
• Encrypted email service Silent Circle silences email
Would you like to keep up with all the stories we write? Why not sign up for our daily newsletter to make sure you don’t miss anything? You can easily unsubscribe if you decide you no longer want it.
Days of the week image from Shutterstock.