Missed anything last week? Catch up with everything we talked about with our weekly roundup.
• Facebook realities, OS X patched, Yahoo! CEO security! shocker! – 60 Sec Security [VIDEO]
• Should employees be punished for sloppy cyber security? [POLL]
• SSCC 116 – Google Authenticator, Apple bugs, Facebook data probes, WordPress phishing [PODCAST]
• Men are twice as likely to spy on their partner’s phone
Law and order
• Anonymous hacker @ItsKahuna sentenced to 3 years for hacking police sites
• 12 arrested as UK cops foil Santander bank heist plot
• Police probe second news group over phone hacking
• Google loses appeal in Wi-Fi data grab case
• 57% of college students think their Facebook postings aren’t vile at ALL!
• New Apple iPhone 5s to feature “Touch ID” fingerprint authentication
• Apple’s “Touch ID” fingerprint login – not everyone is cock-a-hoop about it
• Size doesn’t matter – at least, not quite as much as smartphone privacy
• Rudest man in Linuxdom rants about randomness – “We actually know what we are doing. You don’t.”
• Windows Picture Passwords – are they really as “easily crackable” as everyone’s saying?
OS and software
• September Patch Tuesday is out – one update lost en route, 13 patches left, 8 RCE, 4 critical
• Adobe has Patch Tuesdays, too – a reader reminds us!
• Microsoft endures Patch Horror Day on Friday 13th – issues updates to 8 of 13 updates
• Apple ships OS X 10.8.5 security update – fixes “sudo” bug at last
• WordPress issues security fixes, advises “update your sites immediately”
Privacy and online safety
• Would you believe it? Women more in favour of porn filters than men
• It’s not up to Google to stop child abuse, says expert
• US health care company faces giant class action suit for losing over 4,000,000 unencrypted records
• Google to encrypt data “end-to-end” in effort to block NSA and other agencies
• Yahoo hops on transparency report bandwagon
Would you like to keep up with all the stories we write? Why not sign up for our daily newsletter to make sure you don’t miss anything. You can easily unsubscribe if you decide you no longer want it.
Days of the week image from Shutterstock.