Sophos Security Chet Chat – Episode 147 – May 14, 2014
News, opinion, advice and research!
Stories covered in Chet Chat Episode 147
- Patch Tuesday wrap-up, May 2014 – Adobe and Microsoft both patch multiple remotable holes
- Patch Tuesday for May 2014 – 8 bulletins, 2 critical, 0/zero/zilch/zip for XP
- “Open the iPhone door, Siri!” – Apple’s digital helper coughs up another lock screen hole
- Bitly breached, gives (shortened) details to customers on blog
- Snapchat agrees to settlement with FTC over privacy complaints
Note. In the podcast, we discuss the Siri lock screen bug. Then we wonder if Apple’s public comments on this flaw (and on the recent OS X SSL bug) might indicate a softening of Apple’s traditional “say nothing until it’s done and dusted” approach to security. In fact, Apple’s public comments were on the OS X SSL bug and a recently-discovered iOS encryption flaw, not the Siri lock screen hole. Sorry about that. We nevertheless still hope that Apple is showing signs of loosening up its attitude to security notifications!